The Caribbean island of Cuba is home to 28 endemics and one near-endemic. The avifauna includes such delights Blue-headed, Key West and Grey-fronted Quail-Doves, Cuban Tody, Fernandina’s Flicker, Cuban Trogon, Zapata Wren and the world’s smallest bird, the Bee Hummingbird.
The tour is designed by our own bird-whisperer and nature guide, Yoanis to provide an excellent opportunity to see Cuba's endemics as well as other Caribbean species and capture them through your camera lens. The friendly, easy-going atmosphere with unique feel of the country make this trip worth taking for any nature lover!
Our Simply Birds of Cuba starts in Havana, from here we head to the lush green Pinar del Rio region. Where you can find endemics like our lovely little Cuban Tody and national bird - a beautiful Trogon by its name! Other specialties include the Cuban Blackbird, Yellow-headed Warbler, Cuban Oriole, and the Cuban Green Woodpecker. Other specialties here include Cuban Emerald, West Indian Woodpecker, and Cuban Bullfinch. Imagine creating your magical nature photography portfolio with our nationally recognised photography experts.
We will venture further west, to the agricultural town of Vinales. This amazing valley will provide the most picture-perfect opportunity to capture the perfect sunrise or sunset shots with the iconic Mogotes as well as the opportunity to meet and spend the day with Nils Navarro on a fascinating trip around the valley. You will also get a chance to visit the local tobacco farms if you wish to learn how tobacco is cultivated and take some portraits with the farmers.
From here, we make our way to Cienaga de Zapata, a Ramsar site due to its importance in world ecology. We will stay for a few days basing ourselves in Playa Larga. Cienaga de Zapata is home to some exciting bird species including some little known and rarely observed endemics such as the rare Gundlach’s Hawk, Cuban Pygmy-Owl, Cuban Nightjar, Red-shouldered Blackbird, the magical Blue-headed Quail-Dove, Gray-fronted Quail-Dove, the minuscule Bee Hummingbird, and the very rare Zapata Wren.
On our return to Havana, you will have a chance to admire Old Havana through our walking tour showing off the decaying elegance that exudes memories of the days of the Spanish Empire.
What you will love about this trip
- Our local, knowledgeable tour guides with you for the whole trip
- Fantastic photography experts to guide you to capture the perfect birding and nature shots (just imagine that stunning portfolio!)
- Over 100 bird species to be discovered at the Biosphere Reserve of Sierra del Rosario in Pinar del Rio
- Discover the varied ecosystem of wetlands, mangrove forests, along with 203 bird species at Zapata Peninsula
- Feel inspired by Mother Nature's beauty
- The stunning sunrises and Sunsets at Vinales Valley
- A day with Nils Navarro in Vinales Valley
- All-inclusive tour, all you need to do is turn up and enjoy the sights